Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Unknown

For me, most of the time, the unknown is scary.

We arrived home last night (11/6/10) from the hospital in Indianapolis after I had completed six more rounds of chemo. This was a follow-up from three weeks ago with the same procedure.

My sister called this afternoon to see how I was doing. She always wants to know the next step with my journey. My oncologist needs to keep checking the protein in my blood. This indicates the progress of the cancer. Last summer I was receiving reports that the cancer was winning. But a letter arrived while I was in the hospital that indicated that my condition was improving. When Avis called to tell me of the news, I couldn’t respond. She said “David, are you still there?”

They tell me that this type of cancer is incurable but treatable and news of this nature tells me that God still has a plan for my life. Although the unknown is still the unknown, I still live with the hope that some of the projects I’m working on will be finished.

I know that there are “unknown friends” and longtime friends who are praying for me from all over the world thanks to David Coolidge’s email ministry. The one prayer that really touched me happened this summer. Our Sunday school class meets at a local Mexican restaurant once or twice a month. I felt well enough on one occasion to join the crowd in the small room with fifty other members. Our waiter knew of my illness and he asked to pray on my behalf. He prayed in Spanish and a class member interpreted. It was a moving experience.

Days like that, I can know that whatever happens, I can receive some peace and know that God will take care of the unknown.

David Liverett 

No comments:

Post a Comment