Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cellar Door

Years ago, I read that “cellardoor” was the most pleasing word in the English language. It actually is two words.

Earlier this month I entered Indiana University Hospital for six rounds of chemo. As we left, I told Joe that I still can’t fully comprehend that I have cancer. It has been almost four years since Dr. Bush leaned over his desk, holding a sheet of paper, and said “David, it looks like you have cancer.”

My oncologist told me once that there are many treatments for myeloma but he failed to tell me of all the side-affects. With the loss of smell and much of my taste, numbness of toes, fatigue, and loss of all body hair, I am trying accept that the doctors know a plan for getting me back into remission. Early next month, I will again enter the hospital for six more rounds of chemo. The following week after this treatment, I will experience fatigue and will not be able to draw for several days.

The sound of the word “cancer” brings so much pain. I can think of other words but will not waste the effort to list any. The other day, I was thinking about words and how just the sound of certain words changes my energy level. Words like: hope, assurance, and love are pleasing to hear. Maybe I should change what I have and call it “Cellar door.” I feel better already.

Thanks for your words of encouragement and be assured that I read every letter (email) and card. I probably will not be able to answer your kind words but thank you. Some days I have questions about my situation but without fail I stop my self pity and recognize that there is hope for a better day. I do know that I am serving a living God who loves me. Maybe some day, I can look back on these days and just be thankful for the support and love that was given to our family.

David Liverett
dliverett@comcast                                                    

1 comment:

  1. Words are powerful. And your words here, especially so. Thank-you. Praying this morning.
    Peace,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete